Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

NEWS > Alumnae News > Women in Defence and Engineering

Women in Defence and Engineering

Emily Edmunds supports the representation of women in the defence sector
2 Aug 2024
Written by Emily Edmunds
United Kingdom
Alumnae News
Emily Edmunds 1999-2006
Emily Edmunds 1999-2006

After a gap year I attended the University of the West of England (UWE) to study Sociology. I loved my three years there but, having not studied Sociology before, I felt unsure about where to take my career after graduation. This theme of uncertainty continued and, to some extent, still does now.

Looking back all those years ago after graduating, I don’t think I would have ever imagined myself where I am now; working in the Engineering/Defence sector. I used to think I was lucky that things ‘just fell into place’ but realise now this is how it is for a lot of people and that is OK.

After working in some part time jobs after University, I ‘fell into’ a Project Support role for a Computer Software Company, and after four years moved onto a Project Controller role at AtkinsRéalis.

Who is AtkinsRéalis?

AtkinsRéalis is a world-leading design, engineering and project management organisation. It connects people, data and technology to transform the world’s infrastructure and energy systems. As a trusted independent advisor and strategic delivery partner to the defence sector, we work across mission-critical industries, contributing to the security and resilience of the nation, and helping [1]our clients to exploit advanced technology to meet their evolving needs.

Joining an engineering company in the defence sector, with no prior experience as an engineer, felt very daunting, but the opportunities I’ve had in my career have helped me overcome my initial uncertainty, and I’m now passionate about making a difference.

My role

In the 10 years I have been at AtkinsRéalis I have worked in a variety of roles: Project Manager roles delivering major programmes and projects, secondments into our clients’ businesses, a Client Manager role in our ‘Win Work’ space and, more recently, some internal strategy roles. I’ve had opportunities to gain qualifications, move around the business and have different experiences, and met some great people along the way. I soon learnt that it was OK not to have technical ‘engineering’ knowledge, because I brought different, but equally valuable expertise.

Did you know?

The Women in Defence Charter was launched in 2019 by Women in Defence UK to bring together organisations from across the defence sector committed to improving gender balance. AtkinsRéalis is committed to this aim, and is held accountable annually. The charter’s goal is to see enterprise. Data shows promising progress towards its ‘30% by 2030’ ambition, with an increase of nearly 5% on 2022 to an overall average of 24%, but highlights there is still more work to do.

What has been really important to me is that AtkinsRéalis is devoted to growing the diversity of its people, setting up staff networks and promoting an inclusive culture – providing everyone with an equal voice because, simply put, it's the right thing to do!

I’m involved in our AtkinsRéalis Women in Defence Network, our internal hub to promote gender balance across UK defence, which offers a range of diverse content and opportunities. It aims to increase visibility by celebrating women and their successes, including through resources such as virtual and in-person events, hosted by the network or via our external partners.

Get in touch to find out more

I am passionate about promoting the success of women in engineering and women in defence. I would be more than happy to talk to anyone who wants to know more, or who may be interested in a career in this sector. Please do reach out to me via email.

Emily Edmunds (OG 1999-2006)

[1] Representation statistics from 2023 taken from Women in Defence Insight & Data Report; Women-in-Defence-Insight-and-Data-2023-Report_Updated.pdf (svdcdn.com)

Similar stories

Sophie Valentine (OG 2003-2010)

Old Girl of the Year Award winner, Sophie Valentine, tells us how her passion for Science and Digital Technology in Healthcare aims to address systemic challenges of health care sy… More...

Alumnae discounts available for Ultimate Activity's Summer camps! More...

Lindsay helps women in business start up and run women-only networking groups in their community. More...

8 PF Community Facts! More...

With your generosity we are able to get the Rose Garden back to its former glory. More...

Most read

Sophie Valentine (OG 2003-2010)

Old Girl of the Year Award winner, Sophie Valentine, tells us how her passion for Science and Digital Technology in Healthcare aims to address systemi… More...

Holly Simpson at Alexander McQueen

We're proud of Holly Simpson (OG 2007-2014) who was selected for a six month placement at Alexander McQueen More...

AppArt Exhibition at Prior's Field

Old Girl Tash Fanshawe describes her recent trip to the exhibition that Prior's Field hosts every year. More...

Have your say

Contact us

Alumnae Office
Prior’s Field
Priorsfield Road
Godalming
Surrey
GU7 2RH

01483 810551
alumnae@priorsfieldschool.com

Follow us

This website is powered by