Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

NEWS > Old Girl of the Year Award > 2024 Old Girl of the Year: Sophie Valentine

2024 Old Girl of the Year: Sophie Valentine

Old Girl of the Year Award winner, Sophie Valentine, tells us how her passion for Science and Digital Technology in Healthcare aims to address systemic challenges of health care systems
5 Jul 2024
Written by Sophie Valentine
United Kingdom
Old Girl of the Year Award
Sophie Valentine (OG 2003-2010)
Sophie Valentine (OG 2003-2010)

I am delighted and humbled to be selected as Prior’s Field’s Old Girl of the Year for 2024. Many thanks to the wonderful Emily Crinage for her nomination and to the team at Prior’s Field for their generous recognition of my work. I wouldn’t be who I am today without the core values, friendships, and experiences gifted to me by PF. 

My career began at the University of Bristol, where an undergraduate course in Experimental Psychology soon expanded into two degrees, a few research awards, multiple roles in research and translation, and a wealth of life experiences. 

Alongside my academic pursuits, I serendipitously became involved in a tech-for-good start-up that leverages digital technology to close the education gap, helping disadvantaged students catch up with their more fortunate peers.

I was amazed by how quickly a small group of determined and thoughtful individuals could create meaningful impact. It was here that my drive towards making a difference, first nurtured at PF, grew stronger, propelling me into the next phase of my career. 

Since then, I have twinned my passions for science and impact. These elements converge in the digital health sector, where a growing community of innovators is working to address the global healthcare staffing shortage, leaving many worldwide with unmet basic healthcare needs. 

I’ve been fortunate to participate in a wide variety of projects in this space. The technologies I’ve helped build support patients with cardiovascular risk, Alzheimer’s disease, and respiratory conditions, among other clinical challenges. Recently, my work has focused on the mental health needs of young people. Many of us are aware of the headlines about long NHS waiting lists and the devastating impact that delays in accessing care can have on children during their formative years. In parallel, I’ve co-founded an international non-profit community dedicated to advancing technologies that tackle nervous system conditions. 

Working within incredible teams, I’ve achieved impact of which I am immensely proud. Together, we have increased the number of patients doctors can support within their finite capacity, disseminated discoveries through leading journals and conferences, and secured business partnerships that super-charge our impact. 

However, working in this space is not without its challenges. Newer technologies like artificial intelligence hold much promise: they can vastly increase the scale at which healthcare systems support patients, identify the right treatments without trial-and-error, and ensure no health condition is overlooked. But these technologies can also pose significant risks, particularly in widening health equity gaps. Historically overlooked patient groups may become further marginalised when new technologies fail to address their needs adequately. 

From my position at the forefront of this industry, I am honoured to have the opportunity to do right by patients by maximising impact and minimising risk. It’s not always easy, and I am grateful to PF for instilling in me a set of core values that have often guided me through these challenges.

Similar stories

Belinda Kingston (OG 1997-2002)

Belinda has gone on to win awards for her ground-breaking cancer research and thanks Prior's Field for the encouragement More...

Magda brushes off the competition and wins Old Girl of the Year Award 2021 for her dedication to the curation of Jon Sch… More...

Congratulations to Diana Brooks for winning the Old Girl of the Year Award 2020/21. Caroline Trotter, former class frien… More...

Nominated by Emma Shorten (OG 1975-1979), Caroline is a fundraising expert who has worked at the highest levels of busin… More...

Most read

8 PF Community Facts! More...

Holly Simpson at Alexander McQueen

We're proud of Holly Simpson (OG 2007-2014) who was selected for a six month placement at Alexander McQueen More...

Diana Brooks née Thomas (OG 1972-1977)

Congratulations to Diana Brooks for winning the Old Girl of the Year Award 2020/21. Caroline Trotter, former class friend, tells us why Diana had to b… More...

Have your say

Contact us

Alumnae Office
Prior’s Field
Priorsfield Road
Godalming
Surrey
GU7 2RH

01483 810551
alumnae@priorsfieldschool.com

Follow us

This website is powered by