Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

NEWS > Alumnae News > Marathon success for Ashley Gordon

Marathon success for Ashley Gordon

Congratulations to Ashley for completing the London Marathon in memory of someone very special.
28 Apr 2023
Written by Ashley Gordon (Warner)
United Kingdom
Alumnae News
Ashley Gordon
Ashley Gordon

I cannot begin to imagine losing a child – it is a thought too unbearable. Sadly, in February last year this happened to a friend, whose daughter Maria was just 15 years old when she passed away. When the opportunity arose to run the London marathon it was the most natural thing I could do in her memory and for such a worthwhile hospice that helped Maria - Shooting Star Children’s Hospice. Training began in January with dark, cold and wet runs. I prayed for the spring to come (although I don’t think it has yet!)

Marathon day arrived and I was in Greenwich by 7.30am. It was humbling seeing so many runners taking part in such a worldwide event and for so many different charities that all had a meaning to each person. I felt very blessed to be involved, even if I was nervous. All I could do was hope that I had given my legs the miles they needed in training to get me around the course.

If anyone has run the London Marathon before, you’ll know that the atmosphere is electric and it didn’t disappoint this time. It was so motivating to hear my name shouted by total strangers for the whole 26.2 miles. I was lucky to have friends and family as supporters and I enjoyed finding them in the crowds of people.

I smiled from start to finish and witnessed human kindness, support, compassion and humanity at its best. I wasn’t quick. I was hoping to get around in under 6 hours but I made the mistake of setting off too fast, so it took all my energy in the first 13 miles. The main thing is that I did it! 6 hours 29 minutes later I crossed the finish line. I did it for Maria and for her wonderful brave mum, for the incredible team at Shooting Star and for all those families who need to use their remarkable and critical services.

Similar stories

Ultimate Activity

Alumnae discounts available for Ultimate Activity's Easter and Summer camps! More...

8 PF Community Facts! More...

16 tons of mulch has arrived

With your generosity we are able to get the Rose Garden back to its former glory. More...

Olivia Goode (OG 2005-2007) in a lab

Olivia demonstrates her passion for practical lab work More...

Anna Forkum née Pearson (OG 1981)

Anna explains the creative process behind her work and how travel has influenced her More...

Most read

Anna Forkum née Pearson (OG 1981)

Anna explains the creative process behind her work and how travel has influenced her More...

16 tons of mulch has arrived

With your generosity we are able to get the Rose Garden back to its former glory. More...

Ms Zoe Ireland

The school's twelfth Head, Zoe Ireland, will join Prior’s Field as Head Designate in the Summer Term More...

Have your say

Contact us

Alumnae Office
Prior’s Field
Priorsfield Road
Godalming
Surrey
GU7 2RH

01483 810551
alumnae@priorsfieldschool.com

Follow us

This website is powered by