Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

NEWS > Old Girl in Focus > Art Direction from Anna Forkum

Art Direction from Anna Forkum

Anna explains the creative process behind her work and how travel has influenced her
3 Oct 2023
Written by Anna Forkum (Pearson)
United States of America
Old Girl in Focus
Anna Forkum née Pearson (OG 1981)
Anna Forkum née Pearson (OG 1981)

A home is a space at the end of the day that should wrap its arms around you. 

Whether it's designing a daring color scheme for a residential client or styling rooms for national magazines, I enjoy every step of the journey. From the thrill of brainstorming to scouring flea markets and out-of-the-way shops for the perfect finishing touch, I thrive on juggling different hats to create spaces that are welcoming, quirky and above all, livable. Every single project is an adventure. I take particular pleasure in standing back and giving each of my clients the emotional space to articulate their own creative vision and then, drawing from my varied background and skill sets, help them execute their home.

My approach to style is influenced by a unique patchwork of life experiences that began with a globe-trotting childhood as the daughter of an international engineer.

I was born in Pakistan. In quick succession we made homes in Thailand, Singapore, England, Spain, the Middle East and finally, the United States. Wherever I lived, traveled, vacationed or attended boarding school, I learned early on to embrace the color, culture and foods, as well as all the fascinating people, that I encountered along the way.

After attending art school in Atlanta, I began my professional career as an art director specializing in fashion and home catalogs at some of the country's top retailers, including Macy's, Spiegel and The Bon Marché. It gave me a wonderful opportunity to truly immerse myself in the creative process—from conceptualizing ideas for photo shoots to bringing them to life in some of the most spectacular locations. I had the privilege to collaborate with a full roster of A-list creative directors and photographers. I worked in Atlanta, Chicago, Seattle, switching to interiors when I moved to Nashville. I worked for over 20 years with clients in Nashville. I now reside in Asheville NC, where I am doing interior design and consulting work.

Similar stories

Genevieve Lebus (OG 2009-2016)

Old Girl Genevieve Lebus, strategist at Ignis, takes a look at how the world of internal communications is evolving and explains why change should be embraced, rather than feared. More...

Olivia Goode (OG 2005-2007) in a lab

Olivia demonstrates her passion for practical lab work More...

Kay Badenhuizen

We hear from Kay about her work in a Forensic Accounting team. More...

Outside Number 10

Old Girl Isabelle Duncan represents Fairbreak during her visit to Number 10 with others from the cricket world. More...

Laura Harrison (OG 1997-2004)

Laura is at the forefront of global yachting trends and offers insight into marine industry growth. More...

Most read

16 tons of mulch has arrived

With your generosity we are able to get the Rose Garden back to its former glory. More...

Ultimate Activity

Alumnae discounts available for Ultimate Activity's Easter and Summer camps! More...

Ms Zoe Ireland

The school's twelfth Head, Zoe Ireland, will join Prior’s Field as Head Designate in the Summer Term More...

Have your say

Contact us

Alumnae Office
Prior’s Field
Priorsfield Road
Godalming
Surrey
GU7 2RH

01483 810551
alumnae@priorsfieldschool.com

Follow us

This website is powered by