Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

NEWS > Old Girl in Focus > Research success for Dr Goode

Research success for Dr Goode

Olivia demonstrates her passion for practical lab work
Olivia Goode (OG 2005-2007) in a lab
Olivia Goode (OG 2005-2007) in a lab

My time at Prior’s Field laid the groundwork for my subsequent academic endeavours, particularly thanks to the commitment from the amazing biology teachers.

After leaving Prior’s Field I read biological sciences at The University of Exeter in Devon. There I decided that microbiology suited me the best and I asked a professor to host me in his lab as a Master's by Research student. Here I found my passion for practical lab work, particularly as being dyslexic I always found timed essay exams difficult. I joined leading scientists to investigate how a disease, which devastates cereal crops, remodels itself to infect rice leaves using techniques including genetic modification. 

After completing my Master's degree I was offered a PhD position funded by the university and DSTL (Science arm of the Ministry of Defence). I pursued an exciting project investigating antibiotic resistant bacteria at the single cell level using special devices called microfluidics and high-powered microscopes. I also worked with a bacterium related to plague to test decontamination techniques. Alongside my research, I taught undergraduates and masters' students, attended international conferences, published scientific papers and conducted science outreach to schools and the local community, which was very fulfilling. 

I thoroughly enjoyed my PhD even through the inevitable hurdles, from experiments not working, problem solving, to the Covid-19 pandemic forcing our laboratories to close. Thankfully, research is a very collaborative process and with help from fellow scientists and the exciting work made overcoming these challenges enjoyable. 

I am currently working in collaboration with Oxford University as a postdoctoral researcher. However, the skills I obtained during my PhD are very transferable, so I am excited to see what the future brings. 

Similar stories

Genevieve Lebus (OG 2009-2016)

Old Girl Genevieve Lebus, strategist at Ignis, takes a look at how the world of internal communications is evolving and explains why change should be embraced, rather than feared. More...

Anna Forkum née Pearson (OG 1981)

Anna explains the creative process behind her work and how travel has influenced her More...

Kay Badenhuizen

We hear from Kay about her work in a Forensic Accounting team. More...

Outside Number 10

Old Girl Isabelle Duncan represents Fairbreak during her visit to Number 10 with others from the cricket world. More...

Laura Harrison (OG 1997-2004)

Laura is at the forefront of global yachting trends and offers insight into marine industry growth. More...

Most read

16 tons of mulch has arrived

With your generosity we are able to get the Rose Garden back to its former glory. More...

Ultimate Activity

Alumnae discounts available for Ultimate Activity's Easter and Summer camps! More...

Ms Zoe Ireland

The school's twelfth Head, Zoe Ireland, will join Prior’s Field as Head Designate in the Summer Term More...

Have your say

Contact us

Alumnae Office
Prior’s Field
Priorsfield Road
Godalming
Surrey
GU7 2RH

01483 810551
alumnae@priorsfieldschool.com

Follow us

This website is powered by