Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

NEWS > Old Girl in Focus > Pursuing further studies in the United States

Pursuing further studies in the United States

We hear from Kay about her work in a Forensic Accounting team.
7 Sep 2023
Written by Kay Badenhuizen
United States of America
Old Girl in Focus
Kay Badenhuizen
Kay Badenhuizen

Pursuing my further studies abroad (especially during Covid’s peak) presented me with many challenges, including travel restrictions, a multitude of Covid tests as I flew back and forth, and distance from my family during lockdown. But, more importantly, I was presented with many opportunities. I moved to the United States in 2018 where I attended the University of Arizona, and as a US citizen I did not have to face the visa process. However, the application process itself is already different to that of the UK’s. I had to adjust my grades to a GPA (Grade Point Average), study for and take the ACT (a standardised test used for university admissions in the US) and write an inspiring college essay (what I would describe as a much more personal version of a personal statement).

One of the exciting differences I noticed about studying in the US was the flexibility and variety of classes you can take.

Unlike most university courses in the UK, you can start university as an undecided major and take general education classes on dozens of different topics. Having this flexibility allowed me to not only study my major in Business Economics but find my passion in Entrepreneurship that I later added as a double major. It also gave me the chance to explore other subjects I was interested in, including languages, crime, and the environment. Beyond that, the extensive extracurricular list was something I took advantage of. To name a few of my favourites; I was an active member of a business fraternity and was selected as one of 13 students in a Senior Honorary, and even joined a sorority (and yes, they are very much like the movies)!

Post-graduation, I stayed in Arizona and worked for a year in Management Consulting. In this position, I was exposed to all sorts of industries and different business functions. My first exciting client was a large energy company where I aided in the project management of implementing solar batteries for more efficient energy storage. Recently, I started a new position at a leading global consultancy in risk mitigation, dispute resolution, expert witness, and litigation support services in their Forensic Accounting team. Since starting, I have focused particularly on their fraud cases (think “numbers detective”) where I have realised a passion for fraud examination and am looking to pursue my CFE Credential (Certified Fraud Examiner).

For anyone considering studying in the United States or who has an interest in my education/career path, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Please contact Kay through her community profile, linked above.

Similar stories

Genevieve Lebus (OG 2009-2016)

Old Girl Genevieve Lebus, strategist at Ignis, takes a look at how the world of internal communications is evolving and explains why change should be embraced, rather than feared. More...

Olivia Goode (OG 2005-2007) in a lab

Olivia demonstrates her passion for practical lab work More...

Anna Forkum née Pearson (OG 1981)

Anna explains the creative process behind her work and how travel has influenced her More...

Outside Number 10

Old Girl Isabelle Duncan represents Fairbreak during her visit to Number 10 with others from the cricket world. More...

Laura Harrison (OG 1997-2004)

Laura is at the forefront of global yachting trends and offers insight into marine industry growth. More...

Most read

16 tons of mulch has arrived

With your generosity we are able to get the Rose Garden back to its former glory. More...

Ultimate Activity

Alumnae discounts available for Ultimate Activity's Easter and Summer camps! More...

Ms Zoe Ireland

The school's twelfth Head, Zoe Ireland, will join Prior’s Field as Head Designate in the Summer Term More...

Have your say

Contact us

Alumnae Office
Prior’s Field
Priorsfield Road
Godalming
Surrey
GU7 2RH

01483 810551
alumnae@priorsfieldschool.com

Follow us

This website is powered by